Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Intro

I'm writing this blog as a means to remember some of my greatest professional baseball memories. My goal will be to post a story or two from my 2015 season every night and maintain it thru next season and all my playing days after that.
It all starts in Independent Baseball which is essentially the lowest of the low when it comes to professional baseball. No title of "Minor Leaguer" because were not affiliated. Low pay. No glory. Just baseball for a couple hundred bucks a month.
To start it off, I'll give you a short backstory.
2014 was my first season in professional baseball. I went to the California Winter League in January of 2014. The CWL is a developmental league for kids looking to be seen and sign professional contracts. I had a great showing and signed a contract to a team in the Frontier League. I was a very under-developed pitcher. I had just made the switch over from a position player and was way in over my head in professional baseball.
I lasted about 3 weeks with that team and they released me. Rightfully so. I wasn't very good. I spent the rest of the season trying to get ahold of teams to give me a workout only to be sidelined by a strained oblique that ended my season.
Jump forward to January 2015. I got a phone call from the pitching coach of the team that had released me. He told me that there was a new league opening up for guys like me, looking to gain experience and develop skills and that is what I needed. The manager got ahold of me and within the week I was committed to go play pro ball right outside Portland, Oregon in the Mount Reiner Professional Baseball League for $400/month.
I spent the offseason working hard and when May came around and it was time for me to head out, I was dialed in to be a starter and had developed a 4th pitch. I was confident going into Spring Training. There was no way I wasn't gonna make the squad.
I packed up my car in early May and headed towards Oregon.
I had no idea the kind of shitstorm awaited me...
Story One will come tomorrow night.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment